Double Helix Iaso Rods
- Product Code: Iaso
- Availability: In Stock
- from 5.31€
- Ex VAT: 4.50€
Iaso has a high copper content and is capable of yielding bronze metallic exterior lusters. Brief but repeated exposure to a small, cool reduction flame produces the best results. The temperature of the beads surface, as well as the intensity, duration, and frequency of reduction determines the final outcome. Variations in the luster can be accentuated by using a very small oxidizing flame to selectively erase portions of the luster, then repeating the reduction process.
Tips from Jed from Double Helix:
It does require particular flame settings, and bead heat and reduction duration are more critical than with, say, Triton. I have resisted trying to give specific timings (eg, cool 20 seconds, pass through specific flame “x” number of times, cooling “x” seconds between passes) because it is going to vary from person to person.
But I’ll do it anyway:
1) Shape bead
2) Allow bead to cool for 20 seconds.
3) Adjust flame so candles are stretched 2mm from neutral.
4) Pass bead through flame, candles should touch bead and deflect yellow flame around the edges. 1.5 seconds duration for each pass.
5) Allow bead to cool 5 seconds between passes.
6) Repeat pass-through and cooling cycle 5-15 times.
7) Anneal. Turn your kiln down, it’s hotter than neccesary anyway.